I have so many things to share. I'll start with my trip last weekend. I met the loveliest woman on the first leg of my flight to Saint Louis, I'll call her Marie. We started a conversation about food because she asked me if I wanted her snack bar they gave out on the flight. I politely declined, she said she is allergic to gluten. I told her my daughter is also. She said "I'm 70 years old, it seems strange to me that I would become allergic now". She went on to tell me it was her daughter that diagnosed her, no her daughter isn't a doctor or nurse, she's a biochemist. Marie went on to tell me that her daughter used to do cancer research and because of that research she now lives on a working farm because she wants to be able to control what she eats. I asked Marie if I could go live with her daughter. My dream is to be able to grow all my own food. I truly believe our food should be organic and locally grown. This can be very hard to sustain. I work, my husband works, I have 2 small children.
It amazes me that the people that need to be in front of you with a reminder suddenly appear. I have been failing miserably at eating locally. Marie reminded me of my passion and my quest. Thank you Marie, I hope you had safe travels.
How do you all eat locally? Do you buy from farms? Do you grow your own? Do you just try to but organic in the grocery store?
No comments:
Post a Comment