I love birthdays. I think they are so special. This is the day YOU came into the world. Everyone should have a day to be celebrated and feel special.
When my son died in 2010 I had a hard time with birthdays. My son died in June and I completely ruined my husband's birthday in September. I just couldn't imagine celebrating anyone's birthday when my son wouldn't be here to celebrate any. It seemed so unfair. Hell, it is unfair. It has been slowly getting better. Both of my girls are also born in June, making it a very emotional month.
Since both Chelsea & Bethany are born in June, we plan a big party every year. My husband and I love to host a good party. We have had a party almost every year since we moved in in 2008. So last year and this year we have had a theme for the party. Mostly, because it's for the girls, but who doesn't love theme! Chelsea LOVES pirates, so last year the theme was pirates. We had matching shirts and we all got pirate hats. Some of the guests participated too. It was sooooo fun.
This year we are having a princess and knight theme. I have painted a knight and a princess and cut the head out so the kids can look through and have their picture taken (see pictures). I am in the process of making, cutting out and spray painting shields so the kids can decorate them. We have princess crowns and wands too. I really love this stuff. I try to do it on a small budget, so the picture cutouts are made of cardboard and are held up by scrap wood my husband had hanging around.
My parents never did anything like this for us, I'm not sure where the love of birthdays and themes comes from, but I hope it's something my children remember and look back on and smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment