Bethany

Bethany
Bethany with her NG feeding tube. August 2013

Friday, December 27, 2013

the sandbox

I am almost always taken off guard when I start to picture all three of my children in a place. Recently I had the two girls at a nature center and they were playing outside in the sandbox. All of a sudden it hit me - "there should be three children here". And then the questions start "which one would he look more like", "what would his personality be", and so on and so on. 


I miss him all the time, but there are times it just hits me like a ton of bricks. 

I recently heard my coworkers granddaughter is in the NICU and is very seriously ill. I feel extremely blessed to be able to offer assistance to her family and yet sad at the same time to have that skill and ability to feel that pain. It is both a gift and a curse from my son. I am eternally sad to have lost him but eternally grateful to be able to help others. 

Since my son was not in the NICU that is not something I feel comfortable talking with families about. However, I am blessed to know a very special woman named Penny whose son was in the NICU. I contacted her right away and she is willing to talk to the family as I knew she would be. This network of bereaved parents I have become part of are an amazing, graceful group of people and a testament to the resilience and kindness of humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment