Anyone know what a hydrogen breath test is? Let me tell you. It is when my not quite 2 year old has to fast from bedtime on. When we get to the doctors office they give her 100mls of lactulose (very thick, sweet liquid). Then they put a mask on her face and she breaths into it every 15 minutes for an undetermined amount of time. Sounds like fun right? Sure, except the first thing she wants when she gets up is almond milk. That's her breakfast and her comfort, the only food item that has not at some point made her vomit.
What does this test for you ask? Bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine. Now I don't think this is what she has going on. As a reminder, she doesn't absorb fat and has been slow to gain weight and grow. My husband and I really believe this problem has been going on since birth. Therefore, to me, bacterial overgrowth is off the table. I will humor the doctor and have the test. As a side note, we also have to drive 2 hours to get the test done.
Super frustrating process of elimination. I will let you know how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment